Some causes of poverty are, changing trends in a country’s economy, lack of education, high divorce rate which causes feminization of poverty, having a culture of poverty, overpopulation, epidemic diseases such as AIDS and malaria,and environmental problems such as lack of rainfall and others.
In California reduced poverty in the elderly with the creation of the social security program Almost 50 percent of people in the world today live on less than $2.50 per day.
The poverty rate among seniors in the United States is at 9 percent as of 2010[update]. In 1960 the official poverty rate among the elderly was 35 percent. The Netherlands offers a universal pension and leads the world with a 1.7 percent poverty rate among the elderly. Extreme poverty may affect the lifespan and the lack of money via some type of pension system increases the poverty rate among the elderly worldwide. Issues like hunger, illness and thirst are all causes and effects of poverty.
Extreme weather may be a cause of poverty in many countries. Drought, rainfall and flooding are some of the biggest causes of poverty by weather. When natural disasters do not gain media attention raising money becomes more difficult. This is made worse when governments spend money in the capitals instead of the poorest areas which need it most.
In a BBC discussion, Tony Blair states that the cause of poverty is inequality of opportunity.
Causes of Global Poverty
The International Food Study Institute had a brief on a collection of extensive studies that analyzed the causes of poverty, analyzing household data and reviewing empirical research in 20 countries. They found that some of the major causes of poverty were the inability of poor households to invest in property and education, limited access to credit, in some cases these instances produce more poverty via inherited poverty. The systematic exclusion of ethnic minorities, scheduled castes, tribes, women and people with disabilities and health issues. Persistence of poverty is partially attributed to these classes not having access to institutions and markets.
War and violence may be some of the primary causes of poverty. Political violence and organized crime have affected 39 countries since 2000, in those countries the poverty level is twice that of non-violent countries. These two items, poverty and violence may also feed themselves. When asked why young people joined gangs and rebel groups in half a dozen countries, two thirds of the respondents said that unemployment was their main reason, only one tenth cited a belief in the cause.
Colonialism has been cited as a cause of poverty, this idea is rejected by Walter E. Williams citing that not all post colonial countries have high poverty rates.
Third World countries have low GDP per capita percent taxed, middle income economies have average levels of GDP per capita taxed and developed countries have higher percent GDP per capita taxed.
Places like the Arctic and Antarctic are inhabitable but many people debate how much a role climate plays in Africa’s poverty.
Primary Causes by Country
In Bangladesh, the United Nations has found that marital instability is one of the main sources of poverty among women, along with overpopulation, and corruption of government.
The Fraser Institute, a public policy think-tank have reported that characteristics increasing Canadians' risk of "experiencing persistent low income" include "having a physical or mental disability, being part of a lone-parent family, and having less than a high school education."
From 1921 to 2001 food prices increased due to a change in the policies of commodity prices which increased the poverty rate. From 1960 to 2009 slow economic growth has contributed to the persistence of poverty and has also contributed to the non-poor becoming poor. Although poverty has been reduced overall, the inequality of poverty has increased according to the Asian Development Bank. 
Unemployment was the leading cause of poverty within the US. In 1999 and 2005, 71 percent of the families that were below the poverty line did not have any working family members. Among the families below the poverty line that had at least one family member working, low wages and insufficient benefits were also leading causes.
One of South Africa's major cause and effect of poverty is unemployment. Unemployment causes families to live in unsanitary conditions because a lack of financial means to improve living conditions. If the parents are unemployed, this can also affect how the child is brought up and what kind of education they receive. This issue has been recognized by the South African government and they have created organisations like the Expanded Public Works Program, also known as the EPWP. This program is an important gateway to labor absorption and provides income for poor families. Poverty stricken people now have the chance to receive income thanks to the jobs that the EPWP provides.
Main causes of poverty
Primary causes of poverty
- Lack of control in local food
- Corruption: Corruption is both a major cause and a result of poverty around the world.
- Lack of access to education
- Mental illness, Lack of proper psychiatric care
- World Hunger, the economic development in the world.
- Epidemic diseases
- ^Lusted, Marcia Amidon (2010). Poverty. Edina, Minn.: ABDO Pub. p. 31. ISBN 9781604539578.
- ^Harrison, Paul (1993). Inside the Third World: The Anatomy of Poverty (3. ed.). New York: Penguin Books. p. 20. ISBN 9780140172171.
- ^White, Howard; Killick, Tony (2001). African Poverty at the Millennium: Causes, Complexities, and Challenges (1. print. ed.). Washington, D.C.: World Bank. p. 27. ISBN 0821348671.
- ^"Causes of Poverty — Global Issues". www.globalissues.org. Retrieved 2015-11-02.
- ^West, Loraine A.; Cole, Samantha; Goodkind, Daniel; He, Wan (June 2014). 65+ in the United States: 2010(PDF) (Report). U.S. Census Bureau. p. 78. Retrieved 21 March 2017.
- ^Social Security and the Evolution of Elderly Poverty
- ^Poverty among the Elderly
- ^Extreme weather can be the 'most important cause of poverty'
- ^Why poverty? Part 1 - BBC
- ^Ahmed,, Akhter U.; Hill, Ruth Vargas; Smith, Lisa C.; Frankenberger, Tim (October 2007). "Characteristics and causes of severe poverty and hunger"(PDF). 7 International Food Policy Research Institut: 4. Archived from the original(PDF) on August 12, 2011. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- ^"Root Causes of Violent Conflict in Developing Countries."BMJ: British Medical Journal. 324: 342–345. 2002. doi:10.1136/bmj.324.7333.342. PMC 1122271. PMID 11834564.
- ^"The economics of violence". The Economist. 16 April 2011. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- ^Williams, Walter. "Poverty Is Easy to Explain". The Freeman. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- ^"Discrimination, Inequality, and Poverty—A Human Rights Perspective". Human Rights Watch. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- ^Charles Lammam and Hugh MacIntyre (2015). An Introduction to the State of Poverty in Canada. Fraser Institute. <https://www.fraserinstitute.org/sites/default/files/an-introduction-to-the-state-of-poverty-in-canada.pdf>
- ^Balisacan, Arsenio M. (October 1995). "Anatomy of Poverty during Adjustment: The Case of the Philippines". Economic Development and Cultural Change. 44 (1): 57. doi:10.1086/452200. ISSN 0013-0079.
- ^Poverty in the Philippines : causes, constraints, and opportunities. Mandaluyong City, Philippines: Asian Development Bank. 2009. p. 39. ISBN 978-971-561-857-1.
- ^"What causes poverty?". cpag.org.uk. Child Poverty Action Group. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- ^Thomas Pogge on Global Poverty
- ^Shah, Anup. "Causes of Poverty". globalissues.org. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- ^Factors of Poverty - The Big Five by Phil Bartle, PhD
Reasons that Can Cause Poverty Essay
1052 Words5 Pages
Poverty is the lack of the basic needs of life, including food, shelter, clothing and safe drinking water. For a person to live normally, it is important to meet a certain level of physical, social, and emotional needs. People who live in poverty have difficult time to achieve those as they are not welcomed in many places. Because of their low incomes, they have troubles in maintaining their health, hunger, education. Poverty has become a large issue around the world. It is something that many of us know about but we’re not realizing just how big of a problem it is. This paper will include basic information about poverty, its effects, facts and statistics which can make people aware and want to help reduce poverty. Many people live…show more content…
Poverty is the lack of the basic needs of life, including food, shelter, clothing and safe drinking water. For a person to live normally, it is important to meet a certain level of physical, social, and emotional needs. People who live in poverty have difficult time to achieve those as they are not welcomed in many places. Because of their low incomes, they have troubles in maintaining their health, hunger, education. Poverty has become a large issue around the world. It is something that many of us know about but we’re not realizing just how big of a problem it is. This paper will include basic information about poverty, its effects, facts and statistics which can make people aware and want to help reduce poverty. Many people live on few dollars a day. It has been said that approximately 80% of the world population live on less than ten dollars a day. Whether you are in the wealthiest countries or the poorest countries, poverty will still exist as there are high levels of inequality between people. Poor people have less access to health and education unlike the rich. Even if they are sick with dangerous diseases, they cannot get treated due to lack of money. They do not have power in the public which makes it even harder for them to escape from poverty. Many people think that the high level of inequality between the rich and poor can lead to crime and violence. There are many reasons that can cause poverty. One of those reasons is lack of education. Most